Battle in Seattle 2017 Planning Meeting

Meeting Minutes

Date: 12/12/16

Attendees:  Alan Geller, Rachel Peterson, Michael Reiter, Kevin Mar, Joe Hoover, Dan Berke

WWD Meeting Agenda – December 2016 Miscellaneous

  1. Updated LAO plates have been put on trophies at SAS, Dan has receipt for engraving
  •   Need to update Men’s Saber (Tariq Karam is listed as WFA; should be SAS)
  1. Dan ordered more tape for the bodycord tape machines, as well as some plastic wrap and roller for the first aid kit (to wrap ice packs)
  2. Email forwarding on the WWD website is broken and needs to be fixed (emails to aliases
  3. ROC bids due January 10th. I assume we want to bid again?
  •   Yes
  1. SAS has asked us to consider bidding to make the LAO a D1A ROC. This would likely increase the size (which has been dropping lately.) The only negatives are that we’d probably need to raise the price and we’ll have to run separate gender events.
  • Yes, we will put in a bid and )if we get the ROC) try it on a trial basis

Battle in Seattle Planning

  1. General Stuff
    1. Dan and Mike won’t be there.
    2. Probably can have Greg help with BC.
    3. We will use one computer for check-in near the couches.
    4. Parking will be tight as usual. Work with Greg to post signs directing cars to overflow lot.
    5. Aly will be there to provide medical services.
    6. Hotel block at the Courtyard is already set up for $118/night.
  2. Metal strips & replay system
  3. The Canadian strips probably won’t be available due to the fact that they have a Canada Cup scheduled in Vancouver on the same weekend. We have three (2 RCFC + 1 WFA) but maybe the Canadians will have a few spares. Waiting to hear back from John French on that.
  4.  Looks like we are ok on strips; Alan is checking.
  5. Do we want to consider using the nasty old copper strips? Unless they have disposed of them, they have plenty of them in Vancouver.
  6.   No
  7. We will want to borrow the SAS replay system. Someone will need to coordinate with Bill Nary.
  8. Armory
  9. Set up tables in the corner by strip 1 as usual.
  10. Andy Collins confirmed he’ll be there although we’ll need to confirm exact times with him
  11. We should strongly consider renting rope stanchions to manage traffic near strips 1 and 13. The stanchions are $10 each and 8’ ropes are $5 each (per day) from R&R Party Rentals. Weekends are considered one day, so the price should be $160 for 12 stanchions and 8 ropes.
  12.      We will buy our own, rent within the division
  13. T-shirts
  14. We need to decide on a shirt design. Should I contact Jeff Wilkson for ideas? How much was our budget for a design?


  1. We will plan on ordering fewer extras (beyond the pre-ordered shirts) this year so that we don’t wind up with a large surplus. Numbers can be decided later.
  2. Referees
  3. Alan has started hiring referees, are any flights booked?
  4.  Full – we have all the refs, they are booking flights (if needed)

Ii. Need to keep ref #’s under control (cost)

  1. With 13 strips, ideally we will have about 15 refs per day total.
  2. Local refs that we will want: Garik, Kevin, Adam, George, Nikita, Michael, Zoe, Alan (if not doing BC.)
  3. Peter Burchard isn’t available, so Kevin will do assigning and also ref when needed.
  4. As soon as we know how many rooms we need, we should book the ref hotel rooms.
  5. Some roommate preferences have already been expressed

Ii.  Estimated 5 rooms needed

  • Prizes & medals
  • Are we planning on ordering glass medals again? When is the deadline for ordering?
  •     Yes
  • Coffee & French Presses as usual? When is the deadline for ordering engraving?
  •   Yes
  • Do we want to do swag bags again?
  •   No
  • Idea of doing an engraved “coin” for refs. One idea was a coin with WA icons on it – heads a green tree and tails a red apple.
  •    General approval of idea
  •   Ii. Mike to do research
  1. Food
  2. Details to be decided later
  3. Probably will go with the usual teriyaki Saturday and BBQ Sunday

Touch base again in early January for final planning.

This entry was posted in Division Meetings. Bookmark the permalink.