WWD Post Season Meeting 071717

Attendees: Mike, Rachel, Alan, Sylvie, Dan

 

  1. Error noted in previous minutes – the Leon Auriol is not a ROC, the SIV Cup is
  2. Season wrap up. No major comments.  The season went reasonably smoothly.
  3. Chase bank needs the Secretary to complete the transfer of account from Joe Hoover to Sylvie Troxel.  It could also be a letter from the Secretary on WWD letterhead.  Joe, Sylvie, and Mike to coordinate.
    1. May also consider switching banks.
    2. Treasurer to investigate electronic payment options
  4. Schedule for next season – sent out previously. No known issues
  5. Starting the process of hiring refs for the LaO. Should be mostly local.
  6. Scoring machines – MTFC is interested in buying surplus devices.  Ours need the saber updates.  2 reels per machine and 4 scoring devices.  Need to check inventory and determine location.  Kael Sherrard is also interested.
    1. Comparable new devices cost an estimated $1400 (scoring machine and reels)
    2. Sale price to be negotiated
  7. Membership renewals for the Board – USFA has restructured this, so now the Professional price is a la carte.  Division will cover the extra cost but not the competitive membership.  Non competitive memberships will also be covered for the board.
  8. Need to replace some of the Division trophies.
Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

2017 Western Washington Division Meeting

  • Meeting convened during the 2017 WWD championships
  • Good year for the division
    • LAO is now a ROC
    • SYC went down in numbers
    • Other local events upcoming
    • MTFC moving their club
    • WFA moving also
    • Foil and épée challenges upcoming
    • Lots of medals for the division
  • Referee program
    • Adding new referees
    • Goal is to have all events with licensed refs at the right level
    • Division will help with cost of becoming a ref ($300)
  • Financials
    • Joe Hoover is moving on as Treasurer
      • Income and expenditures:
      • Bought stanchions for traffic guidance
      • Gaffers tape
      • Renew web site
    • All tournaments were profitable – will end season with about $2500 in the bank
  • Slate of candidates were unanimously elected
    • President – Dan Berke
    • Treasurer – Sylvie Troxel
    • Vice – Alan Geller
    • Vice – Rachel Peterson
    • Vice – Kevin Mar
    • Secretary – Michael Reiter
  • Meeting closed
Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Division Championship Results

Results for this year’s division championships are posted at https://askfred.net/Results/results.php?tournament_id=34643.

Three-weapon winners were Matthew Comes and Sylvie Troxel.

Congratulations to all!!

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

2017 April NAC Results

Lots of medals for the division at the Baltimore NAC!!

Leading the way were the veterans:

  • Kwongsuk Chung took double gold in Vet40 and Vet Combined men’s foil
  • Jan Patterson took gold in Vet70 men’s foil
  • Carola Schmid, bronze in Vet50 women’s epee and bronze in Vet Combined women’s epee
  • Cindy Glover, bronze in Vet50 women’s epee and 7th place, Vet Combined women’s epee
  • Monica Morrison, 6th place, Vet50 women’s foil and bronze in Vet team women’s foil
  • Jennifer Devore, 5th place, Vet40 women’s epee
  • Ana Brainard, 8th place, Vet50 women’s foil and 7th place, Vet50 women’s saber

Not to be outdone, the non-vets did well too:

  • Zoe Tolbert, silver in DivIII women’s foil and silver in DivII women’s foil
  • Abby Swallow, silver in DivII women’s saber
  • Alex Rwamashongye, bronze in DivII men’s epee

Congratulations, all!!

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Memorial for John Zobel

A memorial for John will be held on Tuesday, May 23, at the Washington Athletic Club (WAC).

The Washington Athletic Club is located at:
1325 Sixth Ave., Seattle
Noble Room, 1st floor

Doors open 4 pm; the memorial will be 4:30-5:30.

Reception to follow in the WAC Lobby Lounge, 1st floor.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Pre-qualifiers for 2017 Summer Nationals

As of April 2, 2017, the following WWD fencers are already qualified for Y14 or division 2 events  at Summer Nationals. Fencers marked with an asterisk* indicate that they are qualified by being in the top 30% of the current RYC points list for our region (region 1); this may change if there are any more RYCs this season.

NOTE: This list is unofficial and is not guaranteed to be accurate. Fencers are responsible for verifying their own qualification for Summer Nationals.

The qualification rules are available from usfencing.org.

Y14 Men's EpeeJoseph Roy
Brian Li
Y14 Men's FoilWesley Wong
Ivan Ponomarev
John Musha
Avery Townsend
Gabe Meyer*
Nicholas Li*
Jonathan Nister*
Y14 Men's SaberSilas Staten-Lusty
Anderson Bull*
Y14 Women's EpeeKetki Ketkar
Mallika Ketkar
Y14 Women's FoilMaya Outhred
Elisabeth (Gracie) Kim
Abigail Ding*
Mallika Ketkar*
Y14 Women's SaberCaroline Nobriega*
DV2 Men's EpeeMark Benack
Jerry Lu
Mark Blom
Alexander Rwamashongye
Craig Haworth
Dan Berke
Vicente Cartas Espinel
Jameson Lu
Garrett Armstrong
Tobias Lee
DV2 Men's FoilRichard Bowen
Andrew Lee
Hyunsoo (Kevin) Shin
Matthew Comes
Craig Haworth
Jake Lockner
Wesley Wong
DV2 Men's SaberCharlie Catino
Mark Lundborg
Matthew Comes
Sebastian Grathwol-Sear
Ethan Wang
Aiden Holmes
Juan Amezquita
DV2 Women's EpeeJennifer Devore
Kathrina Czarny
Abigail Barr
Chloe McGuffin
Cynthia Glover
Monica Morrison
Helen Kim
DV2 Women's FoilZoe Tolbert
Sylvie Troxel
Elisabeth (Gracie) Kim
Caroline Baker
Monica Morrison
DV2 Women's SaberAbigail Swallow
Erin Shea
Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

WWD meeting minutes – Battle in Seattle Post Mortem

Date: 3/6/17

Attendees: Dan Berke, Kevin Mar, Alan Geller, Rachel Peterson, Mike Reiter

Primary topic:  Battle in Seattle Post Mortem

  • Qualifiers 1st week of April
    • Need to get refs; plan to get the usual local refs
  • Championship in June
  • BiS approved for ROC; Leon Auriol wasn’t
  • BiS financials
    • $800 profit on $19,500 revenue
    • Keeping refs to the right numbers kept us in the black compared to last year
  • Low number of grounded strips was not a major issue
  • T-shirts – still a lot of extras.  Next year – only pre-orders
  • Ref fencing was a popular event
  • Challenge coins were popular with the refs
    • To be given out to anyone who works a division event (paid)
  • Other news
    • Joe Hoover  will be leaving the board after this year; will need a new Treasurer
Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

John Zobel

The Western Washington Division mourns the recent passing of John Zobel. John was an active member of the division, both a veteran fencer himself and a fencing parent for his son Eric. John’s presence will be sorely missed.
Our condolences go out to his wife, LaVerne Woods, and his son, Eric Zobel.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Live Results for the 2017 Battle in Seattle

Live results for the Battle in Seattle will be at http://fencingtime.com/LiveResults/Battle2017/. Live results for the veteran’s events are at http://fencingtime.com/LiveResults/BattleVets2017/.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Battle in Seattle 2017 Planning Meeting

Meeting Minutes

Date: 12/12/16

Attendees:  Alan Geller, Rachel Peterson, Michael Reiter, Kevin Mar, Joe Hoover, Dan Berke

WWD Meeting Agenda – December 2016 Miscellaneous

  1. Updated LAO plates have been put on trophies at SAS, Dan has receipt for engraving
  •   Need to update Men’s Saber (Tariq Karam is listed as WFA; should be SAS)
  1. Dan ordered more tape for the bodycord tape machines, as well as some plastic wrap and roller for the first aid kit (to wrap ice packs)
  2. Email forwarding on the WWD website is broken and needs to be fixed (emails to aliases @wwdfencing.org)
  3. ROC bids due January 10th. I assume we want to bid again?
  •   Yes
  1. SAS has asked us to consider bidding to make the LAO a D1A ROC. This would likely increase the size (which has been dropping lately.) The only negatives are that we’d probably need to raise the price and we’ll have to run separate gender events.
  • Yes, we will put in a bid and )if we get the ROC) try it on a trial basis

Battle in Seattle Planning

  1. General Stuff
    1. Dan and Mike won’t be there.
    2. Probably can have Greg help with BC.
    3. We will use one computer for check-in near the couches.
    4. Parking will be tight as usual. Work with Greg to post signs directing cars to overflow lot.
    5. Aly will be there to provide medical services.
    6. Hotel block at the Courtyard is already set up for $118/night.
  2. Metal strips & replay system
  3. The Canadian strips probably won’t be available due to the fact that they have a Canada Cup scheduled in Vancouver on the same weekend. We have three (2 RCFC + 1 WFA) but maybe the Canadians will have a few spares. Waiting to hear back from John French on that.
  4.  Looks like we are ok on strips; Alan is checking.
  5. Do we want to consider using the nasty old copper strips? Unless they have disposed of them, they have plenty of them in Vancouver.
  6.   No
  7. We will want to borrow the SAS replay system. Someone will need to coordinate with Bill Nary.
  8. Armory
  9. Set up tables in the corner by strip 1 as usual.
  10. Andy Collins confirmed he’ll be there although we’ll need to confirm exact times with him
  11. We should strongly consider renting rope stanchions to manage traffic near strips 1 and 13. The stanchions are $10 each and 8’ ropes are $5 each (per day) from R&R Party Rentals. Weekends are considered one day, so the price should be $160 for 12 stanchions and 8 ropes.
  12.      We will buy our own, rent within the division
  13. T-shirts
  14. We need to decide on a shirt design. Should I contact Jeff Wilkson for ideas? How much was our budget for a design?

Yes

  1. We will plan on ordering fewer extras (beyond the pre-ordered shirts) this year so that we don’t wind up with a large surplus. Numbers can be decided later.
  2. Referees
  3. Alan has started hiring referees, are any flights booked?
  4.  Full – we have all the refs, they are booking flights (if needed)

Ii. Need to keep ref #’s under control (cost)

  1. With 13 strips, ideally we will have about 15 refs per day total.
  2. Local refs that we will want: Garik, Kevin, Adam, George, Nikita, Michael, Zoe, Alan (if not doing BC.)
  3. Peter Burchard isn’t available, so Kevin will do assigning and also ref when needed.
  4. As soon as we know how many rooms we need, we should book the ref hotel rooms.
  5. Some roommate preferences have already been expressed

Ii.  Estimated 5 rooms needed

  • Prizes & medals
  • Are we planning on ordering glass medals again? When is the deadline for ordering?
  •     Yes
  • Coffee & French Presses as usual? When is the deadline for ordering engraving?
  •   Yes
  • Do we want to do swag bags again?
  •   No
  • Idea of doing an engraved “coin” for refs. One idea was a coin with WA icons on it – heads a green tree and tails a red apple.
  •    General approval of idea
  •   Ii. Mike to do research
  1. Food
  2. Details to be decided later
  3. Probably will go with the usual teriyaki Saturday and BBQ Sunday

Touch base again in early January for final planning.

Posted in Division Meetings | Leave a comment